Man held a saw to father’s throat

A MAN who headbutted his father before holding a hand-saw to his throat and threatening to kill him has narrowly avoided a stint behind bars.

Police found the shirtless man covered in blood, holding a beer in one hand and a knife in the other, shortly after the violent altercation.

The Warwick Magistrates Court this week heard the father and his 27-year-old son began to argue while making dinner one evening in January.

When the argument escalated, the son punched a wall and the father took refuge outside the home.

His son followed him and headbutted the older man before placing the saw against his father's throat.

A domestic violence order against the son was current at the time of the attack.

Conditions of his bail for these charges included requiring the man abstain from drinking alcohol, which he breached twice.

On April 6 the man returned a blood alcohol concentration of 0.054 and two days later returned a reading of 0.298.

He was taken into custody following the second breach and spent eight days in jail before his court appearance.

Lawyer Phillip Crook told the court his client had struggled with a drinking problem for years.

He added his client and his father had a "love/hate" relationship and their tensions were largely the result of unresolved issues surrounding the murder of the younger man's older brother some time ago.

The 27-year-old pleaded guilty to a total of seven charges, including two breaches of a domestic violence order, possessing a knife in public, breaching bail, two wilful damage charges and a public nuisance charge.

The wilful damage charges relate to damage caused to two Warwick hotel doors on January 18 and 19.

Magistrate Graham Lee had scathing remarks for the man in sentencing him.

"I find the actions you performed against your father horrendous," Mr Lee said.

"Headbutting your father, holding a saw to his throat and basically threatening to kill him - that is barbaric."

The Warwick man, who was supported in court by his father, was sentenced to 12 months jail but was released on parole. He was also ordered to pay $228.80 restitution and fined $400.

Topics:  domestic violence threat warwick magistrates court wilful damage

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Man and horse killed in storm tragedy

Storm in Augathella leads to a man and his horse dying.

A man and his horse have died following a storm

Police probe fatal crash in south-west Queensland

Generic crime scene images showing Police tape. Crime Police Forensic. Pics Bill Hearne

The incident west of Toowoomba occurred about 3.30pm yesterday

Southern Downs man airlifted after falling from ladder

A middle-aged man was airlifted to hospital after he fell from a lady on his Inglewood property.

The man suffered upper limb injuries from the fall

Local Partners