Police say Murphys Creek murder case always active

Sydney nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans were murdered in the Murphys Creek area in 1974.
Sydney nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans were murdered in the Murphys Creek area in 1974. The Chronicle Archives

THE police investigation into the murders of Sydney nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans at Murphys Creek in 1974 was ongoing and never written off, according to the detective in charge of the case.

Widespread media coverage of the coronial inquiry into the deaths of the two friends held in Toowoomba earlier this month had prompted a lot of public interest and police were examining new information all the time.

Detective Inspector Damien Hanson of the Brisbane-based Homicide Squad, which now holds the police file on the murders, told The Chronicle the case was still very much under investigation.

"There's been a fair bit of interest (following the inquest)," he said.

"We are working through the information.

"The case is never written off and is constantly under review."

Lorraine Wilson, 20, and Wendy Evans, 18, had driven from Sydney to Queensland on a short holiday toward the end of September 1974.

Ms Wilson's Volkswagen Beetle broke down near Goondiwindi and the two women had hitch hiked to Brisbane where they stayed with Ms Evans' sister for a few days before setting off for their return journey to Sydney where they were due back at work at St George Hospital the following week.

However, they went missing while hitch hiking between Brisbane and Toowoomba about October 6, 1974.

Their skeletal remains were eventually found in a paddock of thick bushland off Murphys Creek Rd at the foot of the Toowoomba Range in June 1976.

During the inquest one witness told the court of a suspect once saying the girls had been tied to a tree for days and that he had wanted to go and give them water.

Police believe the two young women were gang raped before being clubbed to death.

Four "persons of interest" Allan John "Shorty" Laurie, Wayne "Boogie" Hilton, Donald "Donny" Laurie and Larry Charles had since died but three others, Desmond Roy Hilton, Allan Neil "Ungie" Laurie and Terrance James O'Neil gave evidence at the Toowoomba inquiry.

Coroner Michael Barnes adjourned the inquest from Toowoomba to Brisbane where one final witness was yet to give evidence.

The inquest is expected to take that evidence some time next month after which Mr Barnes will bring down his findings and recommendations pertaining to the case.

Detective Inspector Hanson urged anyone with information relating to this case to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800333000.

Topics:  inquest murder murphys creek

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Southern Downs man airlifted after falling from ladder

A middle-aged man was airlifted to hospital after he fell from a lady on his Inglewood property.

The man suffered upper limb injuries from the fall

Expert raised contamination concerns at Linc site

The court heard from geologist Gary Love, who alerted Linc to potential contamination problems at the Chinchilla site.

He warned the company about groundwater risks

$3 million Powerball win for Dalby man

CASHED IN: Paula Troy and Malene Price said they were thrilled a Dalby man came forward to claim his division one victory.

LAST week's division one Powerball has been claimed by a Dalby man

Local Partners