Severe thunderstorm warning with 'damaging winds, hail'
BATTEN down the hatches, a severe thunderstorm warning has just been issued for regions west of Toowoomba.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued the severe thunderstorm warning for damaging winds and large hailstones for parts of the Maranoa and Warrego districts.
The warning, issued at 2.35pm, states towns in the firing line include Roma, St George, Mitchell, Injune, Surat and Glenorie.
"Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours," the BoM warned.
Severe #QldStorm warning issued: Storms may produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include #Roma, #StGeorge, #Mitchell, #Injune, #Surat and #Glenorie. Latest warnings: https://t.co/1U5khBkEV4 pic.twitter.com/zM8uJ8EHXb— Bureau of Meteorology, Queensland (@BOM_Qld) October 17, 2018
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services urged people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.