Terror sleeper cell 'may be in Sydney'

Police released these comfits of the suspects.
Police released these comfits of the suspects. Supplied - NSW Police

TERRORISM investigators have not ruled out the possibility of a sleeper cell of agents with links to a Palestinian extremist network operating out of Sydney.

The admission came during the official re-launch of an investigation into the 1982 bombings of the Israeli Consulate General's office in Sydney's Westfield Tower and the Hakoah Club at Bondi.

While no-one was killed, NSW Counter Terrorism Assistant Commissioner Peter Deid said the attacks had the potential to have "catastrophic results".

He said modern technology had revealed both bombs had the capacity to flatten the buildings they were planted in had the detonators not been faulty.

Forensic experts also discovered a direct link to Palestinian extremist network May 15.

The group, which took its name from the date the war started between the Arab states and Israel in 1948, was responsible for series of attacks targeting Jewish interests around the world in the 70s and 80s.

At the time of the Sydney bombings, a 31-year-old man was arrested but the then Director of Public Prosecutions dropped the case due to lack of evidence.

Following an 18-month investigation, which included joint operations with counter terrorism organisations in the US and Europe, police released a series of photographs of the damage and two comfits of suspects over the weekend.

Assist Com Deid said he believed a number of people, including the bombers themselves, still lived in Australia and expressed concerns about a possible sleeper cell linked to modern day version of May 15, operating out of Sydney.

He said it was hoped enough time had passed for those with a "heavy conscience" to come forward and urged anyone with information to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Topics:  palestine terrorism

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'Conspiracy theory' comment cited as coal tussle reignited

Tanya Plant and Aileen Harrison celebrate a decision last month denying New Acland an environmental authority. But NAC has gone back to court, asking a judge to review last year's Land Court ruling on the same expansion plan.

Judge's 'robust' language a bone of contention 

How's the serenity? Coal battle blasts off

High-profile barrister Saul Holt QC, in red tie, is appearing for Oakey Coal Action Alliance, one of three defendants in the case New Acland has brought.

Comedy classic collides with New Acland coal battle

Armed robber shows legal eagle skills in battle for parole

Johnston argued it was wrong to refuse him parole.

He admitted doing 'terrible things to some innocent people'

Local Partners